[Ansteorra] combat bows

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Apr 20 17:05:42 PDT 2009

A scale is an _essential_ piece of equipment for a combat Combat Archery
Marshal.  Marshals must have a scale to inspect combat bows to make sure
that they are combat legal.

In Ansteorra a marshal can reasonably expect to need to measure the draw
weight of crossbows in the 70 to 75 pound range on a regular basis.  In
other kingdoms and at inter-kingdom events marshals can expect to fairly
regularly inspect bows in the 90-95 pound range.

Having said that... my experience is that for checking bow draw weights
the digital scales aren't that good for our use.   The variable weight
as the bow is drawn seems to mess em up.  Good ol spring scales seems to
work best and be the most reliable.  The digital scales seem OK for
measure a static weight (like the weight if yer luggage) but not so much
for bows.

Likewise siege marshals need a scale to weight siege ammo during
inspection.  No siege ammo can weigh more than a pound.

I can be argued that a small scale is an essential piece of equipment
for any Armored Combat Marshal.  There are weight limits for all
weapons.  No weapon can weight more than 6 pounds.  Single handed
weapons can not weigh more than 5 pounds.  A thrown weapon can not
weight more than 2 pounds.  However,  marshals seldom actually check the
weight of weapons.

Regards,

-EA