[Ansteorra] HERALDIC QUESTION

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Thu Apr 23 11:36:28 PDT 2009

"Fast tracked" means an item got to skip the usual in-kingdom submissions
processing period for one reason or another.

First let me briefly explain the usual in-kingdom processing period, and
then I can give better examples of fast tracked items:

1) a heraldic submission (name, device, badge, etc) gets submitted (herald
speak: sent to Asterisk Herald)
2) the item is put on an "Internal Letter of Intent", or ILoI, and published
for commentary
3) anyone (really!) can comment (discuss, ask questions about, help spot
problems and fix them) on an ILoI until the 20th of the month following its
publication. (So, the May ILoI can be commented on until June 20. Commentary
is now done via http://hcs.randomcasts.com)
4) an in-kingdom decision meeting is held to determine what needs to be
returned and fixed NOW, and what can be sent on up (to the SCA-wide level)
to be hopefully registered on the "Letter of Intent" or LoI (herald speak:
Bordure Herald does this)
5) submissions are commented on at the SCA-wide level (the College of Arms,
or CoA) for three months
6) Laurel (and Wreath and Pelican, the top-level heralds in the SCA, not to
be confused with the Order of the Laurel or Pelican or such), decides what
is registered and what has problems and must be returned for further work.
Results are published on the "Letter of Acceptances and Returns", or LoAR,
after a bit of proofreading that usually takes 6-8 weeks. (So the July LoI
is ruled on in the November LoAR, which is published Januaryish.)

A "fast tracked" item gets to skip straight from Step 1 to Step 4. Examples
are:

A) a device that was previously returned for some artistic problem that
needed to be redrawn. The redraw probably doesn't need to go through the
whole commentary period again if it fixed the original problem, and so is
"fast track accepted."
B) a submission doesn't include the right number of forms, or they were
mangled horribly and are unreadable, is "fast track returned."
C) someone sends in a Heraldic Will, explicitly naming who gets their
heraldry stuff when they die, doesn't need it to be commented on, as it's
purely an administrative thing. That gets "fast track accepted" as well.
D) a submission breaks a design rule so badly that it makes no sense to
comment at all. For example, "fieldless badges" have to have all charges
touching. If not, that's a "fast track return".

I hope that makes more sense!

-Emma de Fetherstan