[Ansteorra] What others suggest about clothes at war

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 19:45:19 PST 2009

> FIRST - Get that cloak and cloak pin you've been thinking about.
> This will help with a lot of the wet and cold part of War. You may
> want to invest in a little water repellent spray to fortify your
> cloak. At the very least bring along a spare Blanket to use in a
> crisis.

A good gore-tex coat is your friend. Ditto for rubber rain boots.
Yeah, good outfits are lovely, but there can be a point when
appearance goes right out the window. When the Serengetti is 1ft deep
with water everywhere, that's my limit.

> SECOND - Get a hat. All the peasants wear them, the men too. A large
> brimmed straw hat works well with some way to tie it. This will help
> with the sunny and rainy parts of War.

This is vital. Some kind of head scarf or coif will keep your hair
from getting caught or tangled in it.

> THIRD - No matter what you do, don't try to break in new shoes at
> War! You will be doing more walking than you ever thought you could.

My trick was to bring several pairs of shoes. Switching them up meant
that I could change what spots were getting rubbed and avoid getting
bad blisters. Keep feet clean with baby wipes. This will keep your
feet happy and your sleeping bag clean.

> One final note. All the clothes in the world won't make you happy if
> they get wet.

Hide one set of clothes in the car. At the very least leave the
mundanes you want to drive home in. This guarantees something dry.

> Invest in a plastic tote for your clothes. They only cost around $8.
> They pack well, keep your clothes dry and you can use them as a
> table or chair as needed.

I would avoid sitting on them. Most are not designed to support much
weight and broken bins will make you sad.

~Eve