[Ansteorra] Cheap footwear.

Ceallach mac Donal ceallach at dwarfworks.com
Tue Dec 29 15:56:35 PST 2009

If you're willing to spend $75, Bohemond carries Mary Rose shoes and
Turnshoes for that price.  (
http://www.nmia.com/~bohemond/Bootshop/shoe-page/shoe.html )

RenBoots carries a decent enough mary-jane for the ladies at $69
( http://www.renboots.com/mary_jane.html )

And I found those birkenstocks in european sizes 35-47 from $67-$75 at
http://search.allheart.com/?catalog=allheart&.autodone=nsearch.html&query=birkenstock+london&x=0&y=0

Ceallach mac Donal

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM, John <iaenmor at swbell.net> wrote:
> That $46 lowtop is for a size 1-3.  Not sure if anyone has feet that small
> except for children.  Might I suggest  http://revival.us/shoesandboots.aspx
>  Not much more than the onsale Burkingstocks.  $70-80 will get you a shoe
> that at least looks period.  Modern construction of course but at least the
> look is right.  Good call on Marc Carlson's site.
> Iaen
>
> Darlene Burns wrote:
>>
>> If you are willing to pay $65 for birkenstocks, you can probably afford
>> shoes from Medieval Moccasins
>> http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/
>>
>> Their lowtop sells for $46.
>>
>> If you are handy and craft oriented, Marc Carlson's site is awesome for
>> shoes from just about any period and has patterns.
>> http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Eric W. Brown
>> <Brown.EricW at jobcorps.org>wrote:
>>

>>> If you're reduced by time, money or other factors to contemplating
>>> Wearing black sneakers... Here are a few suggestions.
>>>
>>> 1. Walmart has Birkenstock Clog knockoffs that are VPL footwear (Vaguely
>>> Period Looking)
>>> Cost is about $10 to $20... I paid $6 for mine on clearance. Some of the
>>> Sandals are VPL too..
>>>
>>> 2. Walmart has those "moccasin" shoes that look like someone glued
>>> leather
>>> to the top of a sneaker and replaced the laces with elastic... these are
>>> less VPL but still better than sneakers.
>>>
>>> 3. Stitch or glue thin leather over a pair of sneakers. I've done this,
>>> it's a pain, but it's
>>> Possible to get something about as good looking as #2. (by which I mean
>>> ugly, but better than sneakers)
>>>
>>> 4. Goto Goodwill etc, pick up a pair of cheap penny loafers. Google "how
>>> make latchet shoes" there used to be a article on how to make the
>>> conversion, by a Mayflower reenactor
>>> (can't google it from work, sorry, I'll try to post a link later)
>>>
>>> 5. Goto the Asian Store at the mall... they will have cloth slipper shoes
>>> with plastic soles for next to nothing... they are uncomfortable, and
>>> really
>>> only good for indoor events, but again.. better than sneakers.
>>>
>>> 7. One word. Minnitonka... okay two words, Scissors.. cut off the
>>> fringe...
>>> cheap moccasin boots you can get at many country and western stores.
>>>
>>> 6. If you're more lazy than poor, and have small lady feet (I don't'),
>>> Overstock.com has the "Birkenstock London" (Google it) for about $65.