[Ansteorra] easy clothes for Gulf War

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 10 10:57:41 PST 2009

Willow de Wisp wrote:
> Many years ago Mistress Aurelian showed me how to drape an early
> period Irish dress. You take a length of fabric and attach it at the
> shoulders with pins and then belt it with a wide leather belt.

Cait O'Hara
> My persona is 850 CE Irish. So, I have lots of info on this as well.

If you have evidence that pinned, unseamed garments were in use in
Ireland in the late ninth century, I'd really appreciate a chance to
see it.  That's the beginning of my period, and I'm always looking to
learn more about it.

The latest peplos-like dress of which I'm aware so far is the tube
dress found in Huldremose Bog, in Jutland (Denmark).  It was recovered
near the site from which Huldremose Woman was taken and is generally
assumed to have been buried with her, sometime between the late 2nd and
early 4th century C.E.  ("Archaeology" has put a photo of the dress
online, at
<http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/bog/jpegs/
huldremose2.jpeg>, and the website for the Tolland Man project has
photos of women wearing reconstructions of it, as well as of the woolen
skirt and two skin capes found with the body
<http://www.tollundman.dk/toej.asp>.)  Of course, it isn't made up of a
rectangle of fabric, but of a tube woven in the round.

Coblaith Muimnech
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>