[Ansteorra] Student chapter?

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 16:12:12 PST 2009

Hey Giertrud, et all,

Others have provided a lot of good ideas on getting started with an SCA-on-campus organization, so I won't try to repeat those.  I have also been involved in setting up and maintaining a campus SCA group at UofHouston, so I can offer suggestions if/when the time comes, as well.

However, as with all college life experiences, it's easy to get caught up in the extra-curricular activities (and the SCA is one of those) and not remember what you are there to do - study! take classes!  learn skills that will hopefully earn you a living after you get out of school!  School is the priority!

My suggestion for your first year at school is to focus on school, and then the occasional SCA activity as you find time for it, knowing you won't be able to attend everything.  As I understand that Giertrud does not drive, she will be dependent on other SCA friends in the Seguin area to provide her transportation to any local area meetings or events.  It may take you a while to find out who and where those SCA folks are that can provide transportation - as with any college student without wheels.

If there is not already a group of SCA students at this college, then once you get more settled in to your studies, probably by your second semester or year, then you may find time to pursue setting up an SCA campus group with other students.  If a campus group never gets going, you can still play with the SCA in the local area.

Good luck in school, and we'll see you around the SCA events when we see you.
Cheers, Hillary