[Ansteorra] Emailing: The Medieval Way

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.com
Wed Feb 25 18:50:34 PST 2009

Back in 2000, I tried to start a virtual event on alt.sca.yenta.
I got about 5 people to go along, but it didn't last.

David Gallowglass

Original post (Nov 17, 2000)

Somewhere in the realm of cyberland exists a beautiful wooded valley.
It's just before dawn, and heavy fog fills the valley, limiting vision
to no more 15 feet.
It is cool, perhaps 50 F, with no wind.

Four lanterns light a canopy, next to simple tent.
Under the canopy is a table, surrounded by a half dozen chairs.  A
banner hangs from the edge of the canopy, bearing the device "Argent, a
pile sable, in chief saltire a shortsword and forging hammer, in base an
anvil, argent."
A fire, reduced mostly to coals, burns nearby, with three kettles
suspended over it, from which issue savory aromas.
The table bears platters of breads, cheeses and sliced meats.

A man lazes in one of the chairs, a steaming mug cradled in his large
hands.  He is dark haired and bearded, with traces of grey.  Broad
shouldered and somewhat portly, he is dressed in a simple grey and black
attire suitable for a member of the lower gentry of England in the
1540's.

Don David Gallowglass sips his tea, wandering if any others may have set
up camps during the night, and waits for the fog to lift.