[Ansteorra] 12th Night?

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sat Jan 10 06:00:27 PST 2009

Countess Kat replied to me:

>> Robin said:
>> Nope.  I don't do that kind of joke when I'm the
>> court herald, since the herald is the extension of the
>> Crown.

> However, I do have strong evidence to support the
> fact that Robin isn't above a good heraldic joke when
> he is the *recipient* of the accolade being given... :)

Of course.

> Especially when the scroll being read is written in latin
> and everyone assumes the Crown doesn't understand latin...

Actually, it assumed that the *king* didn't understand Latin.

Serena and I had composed my Laurel scroll in Latin.  Hidden deep in its
verbiage were two extra sentences:
1. Non possunt rerum eo disputare (They can never vote on him again.)
2. Rex non scio quod ego narrabam (The king does not know what I am
saying.)

For the record, the herald was Baron Llywelyn, who read the first one but
refused to read the second, because of the same principle I invoked
earlier -- the herald is the voice of the Crown, so he could not read in
the herald's voice that the king didn't know what he was saying.

[Note to nitpickers and grammar mavens.  Yes, you learned in Latin class
not to use the "... quod ego narrabam" construction, and to use the
accusative-infinitive form instead.  ("Rex non scio meum narrare.")  That
is correct classical Latin.  But medieval Latin is centuries later, and the
accusative-infinitive form was no longer used in medieval documents.]

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin, always ready with an tidbit of useless and
unrequested information