[Ansteorra] 12th Night?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 10 17:55:32 PST 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Lori Campbell wrote:
> However, I do have strong evidence to support the fact that Robin
> isn't above a good heraldic joke when he is the *recipient* of the
> accolade being given... :)  Especially when the scroll being read
> is written in latin and everyone assumes the Crown doesn't
> understand latin...
>
> Kat M.  >^.,.^<

Kings and nobles weren't always literate* in the Middle Ages.  Do we
have any evidence of period precedence for anything like this? For
folks putting their seal on something and later they or someone else
finding out that what was okayed wasn't what was intended?

Stefan

* in period literate meant being able to read Latin, so even if you
could read your own language that didn't mean  you were 'literate'.
See these Florilegium files for some background:

literacy-msg      (18K)  2/ 4/08    Literacy levels in the Middle Ages.

per-literacy-art   (8K)  7/26/94    Would your persona have been
literate?

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com