[Ansteorra] A question for those in academia...

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 15:39:52 PST 2009

Lady Viviana,

The Texas State Library and Archives Commission in Austin, I would imagine,
would have some information on preserving old documents.  Many a genealogist
in Texas has ventured through the TSLAC from time to time; their
genealogical records are REALLY extensive.  They are located just east of
the State Capitol, and their URL is http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/.

The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas should also be an
excellent resource for advice in archiving old artifacts (as opposed to new
artifacts?).  They had a large lobby display on archiving in the Fall 2008
semester.  They have an amazing collection of notes, pictures, outlines,
journals...all kinds of things belonging to some very well-known creative
types.

The URL for the Harry Ransom Center is http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/, and a
description of the archive exhibit can be found at
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/2008/mystique/.

The University of Melbourne School of Historical Studies seems to have some
information on conservation and preservation of old documents.  Here are a
couple links to get you going in that direction:
http://www.culturalconservation.unimelb.edu.au/courses/online.html

http://www.culturalconservation.unimelb.edu.au/services/

The link to the University of Melbourne I got from the Wikipedia article on
conservation-restoration.  There are lots of others.

If you're using chemicals, incidentally, remember that chemicals react
differently to different types of ink and paper.  Patch-test a small corner
of the paper in question before attempting to treat the entire document;
watching a one-of-a-kind treasure dissolve in front of your eyes is a
tragedy of epic proportions.

Happy preserving!

Pax et bonum,
DT+LF
Detlef von Marburg

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Viviana Rowntree
<tinygypsylady at gmail.com>wrote:

> Good Day to all those in our Fair Kingdom,
>
> I come to those I consider my brethren for help as I know our eclectic
> group
> has some many wonderful minds and knowledge to impart.
>
> I am working on a personal project of scanning a box of documents that are
> my families history.  My son is studying genealogy this year and thus the
> cause of this event.
>
> My question is this:  how or where to I go to save the documents for
> prosperity?  This box contains letters written in 1920's to 1940's in, what
> I believe, is Austrian.  I have other documents that are as old as the
> 1910's. Obviously, due to a lack of care, the paper is very brittle and
> starting to deteriorate.
>
> Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Please feel free to forward outside our Kingdom if others can be of help.
>
> --
> Namaste,
>
> Viviana Rowntree
>
> Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly,
> Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile!!

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!

Beowulf, 1-11