[Ansteorra] A question for those in academia...

Cat Clark cat at rocks4brains.com
Wed Jan 14 20:57:38 PST 2009

My mileage with German translation using Babelfish has been less than
happy.  We occasionally feed various bits from German newspapers through
Babelfish when my husband and I want a good laugh. Babelfish has a
really hard time dealing with German sentence construction, idiomatic
preposition use, past participles in sentences with multiple clauses,
and with German verse forms too.  Plays by Schiller are a hoot run
through Babelfish!  The translation facility on Google from German to
English is almost as bad as Babelfish.  Google translations of the
German language wikipedia site are usually good for a laugh.

> If your letters are from Austria, they will likely begin with "Gr??
> Gott..." more often than not though they could also start with "Sehr
> geehrter (name here).." or "Mein liebe (name here)" or just "Liebe
> (name)" or "Lieber (name)."  It would likely have a closing of "Mit
> lieb..." or "mit freundlichen Gr??en" or "mit besten Empfehlungen" or

Oh how embarrassing!  I guess the mailing list software didn't cope well
with all of my lovely umlauts and essets!  I'm crushed, crushed I
say...  Geez, talk about learning the limitations of the mailing list
the hard way!

So now I'm wondering: if the mailing list doesn't do European accents on
letters and funky old German letters like the esset, then how did Chiara
Francesca get it to do that little musical note thing?

ttfn
Therasia