[Ansteorra] Duchess found Treasure contest

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sat Jul 4 03:07:27 PDT 2009

Hi Everyone
Because I am at home and bored and shut in I have decided to sponsor a weekly contest.
If you find a period treasure at someplace and you buy it send me a picture and why you think it is period. If you have a web site that show the period item that looks like your thing that would be great.
I will  choose the piece that I think is the most period and the greatest find and announce it not this Fir but next Mon. on the List.
I will judge on many factors for example if you went to a thrift store and found  a pilgrim mirror or a spike candle stick or a book with a Tudor embroidered cover or a Spanish silk textile those things would be hard to find at second hand store so you would get points for difficulty.On the other hand if you just go to the pewter reproduction site and buy a pilgrim mirror  the item is good but the place doesn't give you as much points.
Now if you go to a web site and buy something and find the source of the thing on your own you get more points.
If you find something that we think is totally modern and show a period example and expands every ones knowledge you get extra points.
I accept auction houses as a source. If they are selling the thing as a medieval artifact and they have guaranteed it authenticity I will believe them for the most part. Sometimes we have seen books and authorities be wrong. If it is a question we will put it up to the list for an opinion.
I know the list doesn't allow attachments so if you have a site put your Treasure on a site and send the URL. I am going to try to start a blank site to post the finds of the week and announce the winner. If you don't have a web site send me the pictures at my e-mail.
One of my greatest joys in the SCA is finding and sharing Treasure.
Oh the Prize. I will make a medium size wall hanging for the winner or I will do something like make something out of metal or engrave glass or entertain at their campsite. I will talk to each winner and find out what they need and want.
If you want to talk about your treasure my number is 817-719-3602. I have no problems with mins so if it would help you write me with your number and I will call back.
Duchess Willow de Wisp OL