[Ansteorra] Crown Finals

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:56:21 PDT 2009

> There are a few. I know An Tir has something for the runner up
>
> in Crown. And, I don't know if it is still the case but there used
>
> to be in some kingdoms that the person who places second in
>
> Crown is the King's Champion. Personally I'm not too sure how
>
> that worked out since some Crown finalists aren't exactly the
>
> best of friends.

Yes, but in some places the champion is chosen by a separate
tournament and there's no guarantee those guys will like each other
either. My understanding is that champion is a largely ceremonial
position, so it's not like they have to be best buddies. Show up,
stand behind the thrones during court and look imposing, hold sword,
do not kill King with sword ;)

> But in Ansteorra, except for a couple of specialized tournaments,
>
> there is the winner and everyone else.

Yup, just pointing out that isn't the rule everywhere as you did say
"in the society there is no silver or bronze". It's not a society-wide
fact, it's just the case in Ansteorra (and I think in most other
places, I just happened to know of an exception).

Just because something is done one way where you are, doesn't mean
it's universal. The more I move the more I learn of how many different
ways there are to play this game, and I just think it's really neat to
see how others do stuff.

~Eve