[Ansteorra] The Cost of Time

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:48:30 PDT 2009

> Remember that next time you dismiss the work of an artisan in a
> merchan'ts booth as "something I could do."  Particularly within their
> hearing.

And then there are the rare ones among us that when we see something
in a booth and say "I could do that" actually mean "holy crap, that's
awesome, I wonder if I can make one like that?" and run home and try
it. And we know full well that ours might not be as nice as the one in
the booth, but making it sure was fun. Or, conversely we see something
in a skill we already possess but in a pattern or style we hadn't
tried and get inspired to attempt something new, and we can in fact do
it just as well and in the exact color, style and size we want. When I
peruse lampworkers' and weavers' booths that is exactly my intent. I'm
not there to buy (sorry) I'm there to get inspired and break out of
doing the same old things. That said, even I will break out my wallet
for something really neat.

Long and short of it is that it might be admiration and the desire to
go home and imitate, not an insult.

I'm also guilty of totally undervaluing my worth when I do artistic
things, but in my case it's somewhat intentional. If I try to do art
"professionally" I know it will suck all the joy out of it. I have
done it once or twice and I always end up hating the product and the
process and regretting accepting the commission by the end of it. I
create because I feel compelled to and I gift my creations to people I
think will appreciate them. I won't accept payment (except in trade)
for any of my work because that way I don't have deadlines I have to
meet, or lose creative control. If I want to make money I'll go out
and get a job doing one of the soul-sucking, unsatisfying skills I
possess, and it will pay me a lot more than anyone would be willing to
pay for anything artistic.

~Eve