[Ansteorra] ISO the Three Queens website

Robert G. Ferrell rgferrell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 04:34:23 PDT 2009

Haraldr Bassi wrote:
> That would be because there is no text to see. It's nothing but
> graphics. So anyone who doesn't show all images by default will see
> nothing. Any visually impaired person who browses the net using a screen
> reader is just plain outta luck.

A lot of you may be too young, either chronologically or
technologically, to remember the early days of the public Internet, but
prior to the release of Mosaic the Web was nothing but text.  In many
ways, the incorporation of graphics into HTML has decreased the
signal-to-noise ratio of the World Wide Web.

If you'll simply use "ALT" tags to convey the basic information
contained in a given graphic, it will help. Providing a full text
description is the best solution, of course.

The most egregious offenders are those who insist on Flash-only
Websites. I pass those by as a matter of principle. Hopefully I'll never
encounter an SCA event site constructed that way.

As far as the official policy of the SCA, Inc. (or at least that of my
office) is concerned, we don't want to get into the business of telling
groups how they can and cannot design their Websites.  We only ask that
you remember that our society is open to everyone and the sites that
convey information about our events should follow that same criterion.

In service,

Cynric of Bedwyn
Chief Technology Officer
SCA, Inc.