[Ansteorra] Suitable breathing armor

Haraldr Bassi ansteorra at haraldr.drakkar.org
Wed Jun 17 09:22:31 PDT 2009

It depends greatly, much like linen, how the fibers are processed. The hemp can have fibers that
are up to 2 meters long. But, if they process them on modern linen processing machines, the
fibers end up being chopped into much smaller pieces. My hemp came from a company called
Ecolution.com out of California who is importing Romanian hemp made on hundred year old steam
powered machines. Consequently their fibers are about .6-1+ meters long. I have hemp weaving
singles yarn that is almost impossible for me to break, what would be about a 30 or 40 linen
singles. That yarn, in a tabby, when properly post processed, turned out very durable and very
supple. But the post processing required quite a bit of beetling. I got it wet, froze it almost
solid and beat it with a 1 1/4" diam maple rod, re-rolled it the opposite direction, re-froze
and repeated that beating 2 to 4 dozen times.

I'm willing to sell some of my hemp for $18/yd if people are interested and can't find alternate
sources. Hemp weaving yarn I will sell for $25/lb in full cones (circa 2.2 lbs).

Haraldr