[Ansteorra] Suitable breathing armor

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 15:37:18 PDT 2009

I believe the restrictions on growing hemp in the US also contribute
to it's much higher cost here. Rather ironic that the Declaration of
Independence or perhaps it was the U.S. Constitution are written on
hemp paper.

While "canvas" today tends to mean cotton canvas, in period canvas was
made of hemp. The name "canvas" points toward this. cannabis -> canvas.

It is a very durable fabric. Among other things, hemp cloth is more
resistant to mildew than cotton canvas. I looked at making my pavilion
with hemp canvas. The extra expense isn't too bad for a small item,
but you need a large quantity of cloth for most pavilions.

For more info on hemp cloth, and some sources, see this file in the
TEXTILE-ARTS section of the Florilegium:

hemp-cloth-msg    (28K)  1/26/08    Cloth and clothing made with hemp
fibers.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com