[Ansteorra] Original Scrolls

Aubree Pham muirenn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 14:20:03 PST 2009

I certainly enjoy creating originals works for Ansteorra, and have made a
dozen or so in the past few years.  But with the time and effort involved,
it's not something I could justify the time or expense for to make more than
3-4 of these a year.  Charters, on the other hand, are a lot easier on both
the scribes and illuminators.  In contrast to the relatively few originals
I've created, I've been able to paint around 200 charters for the kingdom.
I like that they are 'disposable' and that if I screw up I've only lost
a few of hours worth of work insead of 30+.  I like that they are not as
intimidating to newcomers, and that I can set up a charter painting table at
an event and allow people to try out a new art form.  They are excellent
training tools to teach appropriate color palates and basic design.  The are
great for practicing new techniques.

That said, I think orginial scrolls are very cool and I wouldn't mind seeing
more of them given out for special occasions.  More often than not, peerage
ceremonies happen without a scroll being given out at all.  It's great to
see there are people in Ansteorra willing to do more work for the scribal
community, and I'd suggest that as a good place to start.

-Kat