[Ansteorra] Original Scrolls

Karen French klfrench1023 at att.net
Sun Nov 8 13:56:12 PST 2009

I personally know several people who have voiced a desire to produce original work, not only for the few scrolls aforementioned, but for all awards.  I came from the Outlands, where nothing but original scrolls were handed out for any award rank.  I have several of them hanging on my walls right now, each one unique and most tailored specifically to me.  I cannot express the joy that I felt in receiving them.  No one's scroll looked like anyone else's.  It was always a surprise in court to see what would be held up next.  Yes, there were a few scrolls that were still in progress, but they were still held up in court and the recipients could see the beautiful and unique scroll that would be delivered to them shortly.  I can assure you that this was the exception, and not the rule.  The backlog that people might be referring to was for commissioned scrolls, and that was only because the scribes were so busy turning out regular scrolls.  The
 scribal guilds were notified in plenty of time to have these works completed.  Mind you, all calligraphy was also done by hand.

The scribal guild system was beautiful.  New scribes were fostered by more accomplished scribes, and were only given assignments that were appropriate for their skill level.  They were always supported and encouraged to improve their skills to the best of their ability.  There are many calligraphy and illumination laurels in the Outland.  I understand our Kindom's need at the time for the Charter system.  I first started playing in Ansteorra in 1981, and I know what the quality of scrolls were at that time.  My sister started playing in 1977, and she has several magic marker scrolls herself.  She was always jealous of my scrolls from the Outlands.  I have seen this system work, and I believe that the accomplished scribes of this Kingdom could well handle the workload, if it was their desire to do so.

Yours in Service to Crown and Kingdom,

Caterina Fregoso, O.L.