[Ansteorra] Original Scrolls

Traci traci at crimsonvision.net
Sun Nov 8 12:15:12 PST 2009

Greetings to the list!

I have been following this conversation since the start and am thrilled to
be able to share my opinion on it now.  ;)

Over the 6 months I have been very blessed to not only be able to view many
a scroll but to actually sign my name to them and award them to deserving
individuals.  We gave out well over 100 awards in that time and since I
signed every single one of them that went out.  I actually LOOKED at every
single one of them as well.  I was even SO INSPIRED by the work that these
artists did that I went out and started trying my own hand at painting
scrolls & actually was able to get a few done.

While I do admit that yes, on occasion I saw a scroll that maybe had a color
scheme that wasn't to my personal preferences or maybe has a stray drop of
paint where it wasn't supposed to be (I know the ones I did do!) overall the
scrolls were absolutely beautiful.  Some of them I would sit and hold and
just try and absorb all the details before I signed them they were so
amazing.  I honestly covet some of the works that left our hands this year;
not the awards but the actual scrolls.

I feel that you are discounting all the time and effort that the artists of
Ansteorra put into their scrolls just because they aren't 'originals'.
Sure, they were given a starting point to go from... so what?  They still
sat and painted each little bit of color by hand.  I have seen many
'original' scrolls in my time in the SCA (Not from Ansteorra of
course!) that couldn't hold a candle to some of the ones 'just painted' that
are given out in this Kingdom.
Originals are wonderful things, I agree with you on that.  But I challenge
the stand you seem to be taking that the scrolls we give here in Ansteorra
are inferior and not worthy of representing an award from the Crown.

Just a little bit defensive of our artisans;
Countess Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa