[Ansteorra] Original Scrolls

Fiona the Needleworker danab-steppes at tx.rr.com
Sun Nov 8 12:30:23 PST 2009

As a fairly new Painter myself for Ansteorra, I am grateful for the
pre-printed scrolls. I have ideas that I'd like to put into play on
creating one, but am not confident enough in my drawing abilities to
do that yet. I now own a light box that I can use to help me create
those beautiful works that I have in my brain and thoughts, but so far
have not had the chance to work on making any of them. I've played in
both Atenveldt and Ansteorra myself, but never got to see, really see,
the Atenveldt scrolls that were done. I had only been to one court at
an event where scrolls had been given out.

It is hard, even on the pre-printed forms that we use, to make each
one individual. Yes, we have to think about color schemes, and it's
those small imprefections that make a scroll truly unique. We have to
remember that they were not perfect on things back then either, unless
of course maybe you were a master painter like Michaelangelo, or one
of the other Masters, but then I think about how long they had to work
to get to that level of perfection that they were able to paint at.

I am not a dedicated Artist. Painting is not my job, so I know my
scrolls are far from perfect, but I have pride in each one that I have
created. They're not easy. I remember within the first couple of
scrolls I did, I did not like the way my gold work looked on one of
the Visconti Hours based scrolls looked. Because I don't feel as
confident with that kind of work, I stick to the Celtic scrolls. Maybe
after I've finished the Celtic ones I have, I will move on to learning
more about the Visconti ones.

So even though the scrolls themselves are not original, we have people
that have created lots of variations of scrolls, and those creations
were/are original. So each time we paint one, we are painting a copy
of an original work that was created for that, and I'm honored to just
be able to do that. It makes me feel like I actually have a place in
the SCA. It gives me something to do other than just sit around and
watch. There's no much I can do because of health reasons, so thank
you C&I for allowing us to partake of making scrolls. Thank you to the
Crown and the Barons and Baronesses that use the skills of the little
people who love to paint. We appreciate it.

Just one of the little people...
Fiona the Needleworker