[Ansteorra] arrowhead type identification

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Thu Oct 22 08:30:24 PDT 2009

I read somewhere that if the arrowhead is engrailed on the inside (barbed), it's called a pheon.  If it's smooth on the inside like this one, it's called a broad arrow.  But the terms have been used interchangeably.

In the 18th century, the broad arrow was used to mark British government property, since it was a badge of the Earl of Romney, the Master-general of Ordinance around 1700.  I believe the badge continued to be used long after his tenure.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin