[Ansteorra] "Autocrat" (was: found keys at BG30)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Oct 25 20:16:33 PDT 2009

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:
> At 08:49 PM 10/25/2009, you wrote:
>> Maybe it's post period in English, but to me it's a perfectly good
>> Anglicization of the period word Autokrator, ...
>>
>> In fact, by the 8th Century, the Emperor of the Romans was formally
>> styled Basileus kai Autokrator, or "Emperor and Autocrat".

That is, it's period _for the lord of the Romans_.  I'll grant you
that the "Byzantines" suffered title inflation, but I don't think it
got as depreciated as Caesars running gyros stands, as it were.

> And speaking of autocrats, I'd wanted to sing "God Rest Ye, Frantic
> Autocrat" to Laszlo at the Bardic Circle, but we were too tired to
> stick around after court. <sigh> What happened to the days when we
> could do bardic circles until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning?

For the first time, I was part of the group that hung around to the
end of the bardic circle!  Yay!

It was 1:30 AM.  Hrmmm.

Dannet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com