[Ansteorra] "Autocrat"

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:30:49 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner
<burgborrendohl at valornet.com> wrote:
> Beg to differ with you my lord.  Cordova, where I was born, was quite
> civilized.  We had paved and lighted streets, indoor plumbing, universities
> and libraries.  My own father's library contained some of the greatest works
> of the ancients in Arabic as well as other languages.  I learned Byzantine
> Greek (Roman) as well as Latin (the language of the infidel) as a young girl
> although my tutors may not agree.
> respectfully,

Ah, yes.  Once the jewel of Hispania Baetica, Cordoba was fortunately
not terribly damaged by the various barbarian invasions, unlike such
towns as Eboracum and Lugdunum.  It is good to hear that such
far-flung outposts of Rome have retained some civilization under
assorted barbarians, the differences between which I am occasionally
unclear upon.

Ioannes Dalassenos
now with tongue firmly embedded in cheek.
--Vita Aureliani