[Ansteorra] Sable Shield Award Question...

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 17:54:44 PDT 2009

Ansteorran Kingdom Law, Article I, Section 1.A:  "The word of the Crown, written or spoken, is law, subject to The Corpora of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (herein referred to as Corpora) and to the By-Laws of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (herein referred to as the By-Laws)."

Since, as far as the heralds of Ansteorra are concerned, this doesn't exist, "opening" and "closing" aren't relevant concepts.  These recognitions happened because the Crown said they did.  Then-TRM Miguel and Conal gave out special recognition tokens called "Sable Shields" for reasons listed in the edict previously quoted in this thread.  Current-TRM Hrafn & Elizabeta have decided to revive the presentation of these tokens, for reasons and under criteria that HRM Elizabeta has described.

"Non-armigerous" is not synonymous with "unofficial".  Ansteorra has many official, non-armigerous awards and orders, such as the Lions of Ansteorra.  Official awards have names registered with the Society College of Arms, constitutions signed by Ansteorra's Crown and Principal Herald, and are carried in the Ansteorran Roll of Precedence (despite their lack of precedence; perhaps a better name would be "Database of Official Orders, Awards, and Honors").

Did that help, or are you still confused?

--Serena, Blanc Gryffon