[Ansteorra] found keys at BG30

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 18:14:11 PDT 2009

At 06:42 PM 10/25/2009, you wrote:

>>Laszlo
>>A-crat
>
>Uh oh. Another one of those made-up fantasy words from the 70s (and
>80s)!  I mean "autocrat", not Laszlo.
>
>Stefan

But "autocrat" is a perfectly valid word, not something made up.
(Although it's post-period; the Oxford English Dictionary only dates
it to 1803.)

Now I'll grant that the SCA's *use* of the word is somewhat
fantasy-based. As I understand things, when Marion Zimmer Bradley was
filling out a Parks Department reservation form for the second event,
one of the things they asked for was the title of the person
reserving the park. "Autocrat" was the first thing that popped into
her head (just as "Society for Creative Anachronism" was the first
thing she thought of when they asked for the name of the
organization) and both names stuck.

         -Tivar Moondragon