[Ansteorra] found keys at BG30

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 18:49:21 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:

> But "autocrat" is a perfectly valid word, not something made up. (Although
> it's post-period; the Oxford English Dictionary only dates it to 1803.)

Maybe it's post period in English, but to me it's a perfectly good
Anglicization of the period word Autokrator, which is the Greek
translation of the Latin title Imperator.  Literally, 'self-ruler' or
'one who rules alone'.

In fact, by the 8th Century, the Emperor of the Romans was formally
styled Basileus kai Autokrator, or "Emperor and Autocrat".  It was
also used to designate a general with independent command, as a
strategos autokrator.

It was also adopted as part of the style of Tsars of Russia at some
point during period.

Ioannes Dalassenos
--Vita Aureliani