[Ansteorra] Bryn Gwlad Baronial Flashback Thanks

robert segrest aumbob at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 09:56:28 PDT 2009

I would like to thank all of those who helped may Bryn Gwlad’s
Baronial Flashback an wonderful event.  As
yet, I have heard nothing but praise for the event, and many have told me about
how much fun they had.  I have deeply appreciated
all of those who have come to me with words of thanks for the event, but can
really only take credit for having found such wonderful people to put the idea
into execution.  It took the hard work
and good ideas of a lot of people to bring this event off, and I will attempt
to remember each of their contributions.  Before I begin, I must beg forgiveness from those who I have inevitably left
out, and ask that any who sees an oversight will bring it to my attention as
quickly as possible.

First I wish to thank the populace of this great barony, who
allowed a first time autocrat with a pretty wacky idea enough rope to hang
himself for their 30th year celebration.  It was a somewhat risky decision, and I
appreciate their willingness to take those risks.

Mistress Saundra of Loch Raeburn acted as my mentor, and
helped me to get going in the right direction.  She thinks she didn’t do enough; just like a pelican.  She was there to offer help when I needed it,
and never complained about one more phone call.

Lady Isabella of Bryn Gwlad was not officially part of the
event staff.  She merely sent me tons of
invaluable planning tools that she has developed, double checked a lot of my
plans, checked on me regularly to make sure things were going alright, and
offered good advice on solving logistical problems.  Oh yeah, and saw to it that we had all the stuff
we needed to do the event.  Couldn’t have
done it without her.

Baroness  Claire Shayhan
created the website, kept on my back about the schedule and event information,
and helped me keep my eye on the ball.

Mistress Gwynneth Blackrose fed us BBQ, and offered many
good suggestions about the setting the tone for the event.  She was also the financial hawk who kept us
as close to 1979 prices as we could possibly go.

Grishka Kravtsovich asked me if he could help whoever was in
charge of waterbearing.  I told him I
didn’t have anyone in charge of waterbearing, and asked if he wanted the job.  He bit.  At the event, in spite of having some volunteers fall through on him, he
pretty much single-handedly watered the fighters on two fields all day.  He learned a few things, but he also did an
excellent job under less than ideal conditions.

Lady Celestria le Dragon stepped up as gate coordinator at
nearly the last minute when original plans fell through.  Gate ran without a hitch.  Thanks for taking on this vital and
underappreciated job.

Speaking of underappreciated, Lord Goldweard of St. Golias
kept the site and the privies clean and well stocked, as well as pitching in on
any grunt work he happened to see going on.  He was tireless and we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Centurion Uther Blackthorn, Lord Ceallagh mac Donal, and
Lord Dante ran the chivalric, rapier and archery lists, respectively.  There was lots of fighting and shooting, and
all seemed to have a good time.

Don Christian Dore kept people from dying on the hill, in
spite of complications from the haunted house above us.  In the end, we really only had one hitch come
up with the traffic coordination, and it was resolved immediately.

Honorable Lord Stephan le Rous hosted his first nobles
luncheon, featuring ‘period’ foods from 1979 and today.  It went over well.

Honorable Lady Alina Mitchell hosted a fantastic
museum.  I saw many of those who have
experienced our history taking a walk down memory lane, and many who were not
present getting to see the faces of those they had only heard about in
stories.  Speaking of stories, there were
a lot of ‘oh that reminds me of the time’ stories inspired by the photos
displayed in the museum.

Lady Illaria had the idea of a fashion show, and made it happen.  Duke Hoegaarden volunteered his services to
act as master of ceremonies.  In spite of
happening on Friday night, it was a great success.

Master Thomas of Tenby accepted the challenge of creating a
quest, and the secret of Charlemagne’s gold was successfully uncovered.

Centurion Alaric ran the bardic circle with three
rules.  It can’t be maudlin, pretentious
or boring.  For the most part, the rules
were obeyed and the bardic lasted well into the night.

Master Daniel de Lincoln proposed a tea for those who held principality
awards.  It was better attended than we
thought it would be, and appeared to be enjoyed by the participants.  Many stories were shared and many of our younger
members got to learn about our heritage.

Lady Jesmonde de Hallys wrangled merchants, and they all
seemed duly submissive.

More than any of these, though, I must thank all of the
people who came to the event, played along, and had fun.  This event was either going to be a lot of
fun, or a colossal failure.  The key was
whether or not the populous bought in.  You did buy in, played our silly game, shared the magic you had brought
with you, and created a wonderful memory.

And finally, and above all others, I must thank my wife,
Lady Gretchen Kronnewetter, who supported me, covered for me, and did all the
things that mommy has to do when daddy doesn’t have time; and my daughter
Eleanor, for understanding.

Lord Fatthiopap Laszlo
Autocrat