[Ansteorra] Youth Combat Heraldry Badge Question

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 10 16:00:33 PDT 2009

Pooky wrote:
> Would anyone know where to point me to find a bigger picture of the
> Youth Combat Heraldry Badge, then the one I found under officers at
> Ansteorra dot org website?

Chiara Fracesca, when she was Kingdom Virtual Scribe, created an
image featuring a child all in white marching against a black
Ansteorran star on a yellow background and used it on the kingdom
website where you might expect to see the kingdom or Society badge of
a children's officer <http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/heralds-
ansteorra.org/2007-May/011907.html>.  It looks like the graphic
currently next to "Youth Combat" at <http://www.ansteorra.org/
officers.php> consists of the badge of the Earl Marshal of the
S.C.A., "Sable, two swords in saltire Or," with the swords pushed to
sinister chief and a roundel bearing the non-heraldic "marching
child" design inserted at dexter base.  It's not the badge of
anything, and it never could be.  (It's got too many layers <http://
heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#8.1>, for one thing, and
the child isn't in an appropriate heraldic posture <http://
heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#8.4>.)

> Me finding it is of course very important in regard to a project of
> DREAM Building.

Its designer may have a copy of the "marching child" graphic, and it
would be easy enough to recreate the design on the officers' list
from that.  But it's got no more or less validity as a reference to
youth combat than any decorative motif you might find in, say, a book
of clipart.

If you're looking to decorate a prize box or create an award scroll
or something, you might consider using a period image instead.  MS.
Bodl. 264 <http://image.ox.ac.uk/show?
collection=bodleian&manuscript=msbodl264>, for instance, has bas de
page illustrations showing kids with shields whacking each other with
sticks (folios 91r and 108v), as well as kids jousting while mounted
on dogs (50r), playing with bows and arrows (51v), riding against
quintains mounted on pull-carts (72v), and enjoying a wide variety of
other games and sports.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>