[Ansteorra] honor and animals

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 16:01:25 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner wrote:
> I do not think that Her Grace is trying to say that any animal has a
> sense of honor.  Medieval mind sets, however, used symbolism of
> certain traits or behaviors of animals to represent virtues and
> vices of humans.  (At the risk of starting another tread, I don't
> make assumptions as to what emotions, etc. animals have since I can
> not communicate with them in their language.  I've seen cats appear
> to be embarrassed which means they have some form of self esteem.
> I've seen animals grieve, show affection, etc. Being a fan of
> Ender's Game, I try not to judge other species quickly).

What is "Ender's Game"?

> But back to the point of this discussion, if you read my previous
> post, the people of the Middle Ages would see a certain behavior or
> trait in an animal as a characteristic of a human's virtue.
>
> From the same source:

I haven't read all the other threads yet. Which source?

> A peculiarity of the wolf is that it cannot turn its head, because
> there is no joint in its neck, but must turn its whole body
> when it wishes to look behind, thus symbolizing people stiff-necked
> and stubborn in sin.

Oh? I hadn't noticed this. I'll have to watch my dog (Snowball, the
dog that pulls the wagon) and see.

> That does not mean wolves are stiff necked and stubborn--mine was a
> sweetie, but she could not just look over her back, but had to turn
> at least her front half around to see behind her.

Thanks for the examples. I'll be adding your message to this file in
the ANIMALS section of the Florilegium. Others might find it
interesting. I'm, of course, always interested in more details.
p-thts-animls-msg (10K) 1/29/08 Period thoughts on and behavior to
animals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/p-thts-animls-msg.html

> Ismet

Stefan