[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 18 08:20:36 PST 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Brandon McDermott <brandonsmcd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> rose_welch at yahoo.com wrote:
> > I'd like this if hospitalers were allowed to issue coupons and/or
> > waivers to newcomers for, say, their first three events.
>
> They could if it was for a specific event/Barony. Simply put $50 in
> the budget for it.
>
> Make 5 $10 off admittance coupons. Give them to Hospitaler....Badda
> Bing... Badda Boom...

I suggest talking to the kingdom treasurer before doing anything
unusual with fees.  You need to worry about SCA regulations and IRS
rules.  There may be ways to accomplish an end that are less hinky
than others.  (As SCA heralds say, "sometimes you can blazon your way
out of a style problem".)

The above proposal makes my hinky-meter twitch, but it's an old Soviet
model so it's not exactly reliable.  Which is to say, I don't know
enough to say for sure.  For example, I'm moderately sure that the
above proposal would still force the entrant to pay NMS, whereas a
free site fee might avoid that.  Are there any regs on someone
distributing free benefits to a chosen subset of attendees
(self-inurement?  favoritism?), and would an objective standard avoid
it?  Does listing it as a budgeted expense make it a better propoal
(more transparent) or not (looking like financial transfer)?  I just
don't know.

Daniel Lindonium
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com