[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Feb 18 10:40:04 PST 2010

BTW, you may decide not to sue, but if you collect on your health insurance,
you give your right to sue to the insurance company and they may well do so.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede

========================
<snip, snip>

The NMS isn't a punishment. The odds of someone getting injured at an event
are pretty good...be it from falling into a hole or getting their bell rung
while fighting. That is why we have chirurgeons. The odds of someone suing
the Society over their injury increases if they don't have a vested interest
in the Society. If I fall in a hole and break my leg because the Steward
didn't put a big sign with caution tape around it, I'm not not going to sue
because I have been playing for too many years and love this organization.
Now, you get someone who is at their first event and falls in the hole and
breaks their leg, then they are more likely to sue because they don't have a
vested interest in the group. So, the new folks are the high risk group when
it comes to liability, not those of us who have been playing forever. By
requiring them to pay a temporary membership fee, they are covering the
extra cost that they are incurring on the Society as a whole. Someone who
knows more about the psychology of lawsuits and insurance can probably
expand on this.

<snip, snip>

Just my two cents,
Lady Ysabeau of Prague
(who probably should have waited to have a second cup of coffee before
writing this)