[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Thu Feb 18 11:29:19 PST 2010

Lisa sawyer wrote:

>>The SCA isn't that much different. If you want to play, you need to
>be a member to be covered by the insurance and you have to purchase a
>temporary membership that is good for the event.<

It sounds good, but unfortunately, it's just not true.  You aren't covered by the insurance, and you aren't buying a membership.  Did you read the original announcement from the BoD that started this discussion?  The NMS is a straightforward revenue-generating tool.  Its primary purpose is not insurance-related; it's to raise money.

Arthur replied:

> ... you as a participant are
> not covered by any sca insurance. ( that i'm aware of )
> the insurance is for the group holding the event, the sca , as an entity ,
> and the place being used as a event site.
> while the insurance may cover the damage you do, it does not cover the
> damage to you , or your possessions.
> the participants are responsible for their own insurance and medical bills.

Exactly.  The insurance is to protect them if we (or our heirs and assigns) sue the corporation.  We are not what they are insuring for.  We are what they are insuring *against*.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin