[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Fri Feb 19 00:35:57 PST 2010

I just had a thought as to why people may differ in considering it
charging extra vs a discount.  It's all a matter of reference.  If you
ask a physicist how fast a celestial body is moving through space, the
first question they're going to ask, is "in reference to what?"  Without
a point of reference, you can't tell what change is happening.  For a
lot of people in this discussion, their point of reference is prices
prior to NMS being instated, so to them it's obviously charging extra.
However; a newcomer doesn't have that point of reference.  To them they
start out paying the higher price, and once they become a member then
they pay the lower, or discounted, price.  Again, mathematically it is
the same whatever you call it.  You're quite correct saying two
statements are emotionally different, that has been my whole point.
Given that they're mathematically the same, just from two different
reference points, I'd rather use the one that is more emotionally
welcoming to newcomers.

When you only consider your own point of reference the one Truth, then
you can no longer have an effective discussion with someone looking at
the issue from another point of reference.  And that is where most
discussions break down.

Donnchadh