[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Doug Copley doug.copley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 04:51:23 PST 2010

hmmmm, there has actually been THREE different discussions going on here
at the same time in the same thread.

ONE - What does the NMS $5 pay for and exactly who has to pay it and who
does not?

TWO - can the hosting group of an event waive fees, waive charges, buy
memberships, or give free admission. And, in the process of these
actions what happens to the $5 NMS charge?

THREE - The SCA NEEDS more active participants and more members. The SCA
gauges baronies, kingdoms, etc based on number of paid memberships. So
how do we as individuals, groups, and kingdom explain to potential
members what the charge is, who has to pay it and what the benefits are
to becoming a member. And NO, we cannot sit and tell them all of the
above, unless our goal is to drive them away and make sure we get as few
new members as possible because we have made it so complex and devoid of
FUN as we could. I don't believe that anyone on here is advocating that
we lie to them or intentionally deceive them. The SCA is a large complex
group with lots of traditions, history, and some rules and it is not
possible to teach someone all of this in 15 minutes before you lose
their attention and they go to look at something else FUN to do. We have
demos and stuff and the fighting normally brings in more people than
anything else but it is not what keeps everyone here, it is the entire
atmosphere. So this part of the thread was concerned with what are
things that we can do to help the group / kingdom / SCA grow and prosper?

I would suggest that the subject line be changed to focus on the area
that is actually being discussed so as to avoid confusion, reduce
interpretation errors, and keep things a little easier to follow.

Just my 3 cents (sorry, I spent one of the pennies getting pre-reg for GW)

Vincenti