[Ansteorra] Newbie's perspective on NMS and other things

Elizabeth Crouchet ecrouchet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:56:56 PST 2010

Unfortunately for her I have been in and around so long I forget what a
newbie does not know. Please have patience with the newbies.

Newbies, please have patience with us Very Old Timers.

Our acculturation is so ingrained we don't even think about what it was like
to learn a new culture. Though we are quite eager to engage and geek away,
we forget about those little things. They will become little things for you
too, eventually. That is the good news.

We tend to forget that these new people that enter our world are entering a
foreign culture with foreign customs and foreign technologies. We forget
because they look and speak like us and on other days we do share a common
culture.

That is why we need new blood, so they can become a little acculturated
(brainwashed, assimilated) enough to help the newer newbies but still fresh
enough to remember what it is they didn't know. Before they become the
oldtimers, too.   ;-)

Claire Shayhan (old timer)