[Ansteorra] Marking your property

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 14:36:55 PST 2010

> > Pelicans mark with a yellow belt and Laurels with
> > green.

> Except when they don't...

Right! My apprentice belt, for example, is motley. Anyone who has been around a decade or more can easily guess who takes responsibility for me to the Laurels. :) Just sayin' some traditions aren't set in concrete.

As an aside, my first SCA belt was green and all the folks asking me about my non-existent apprenticeship did make me uncomfortable. :( I changed it to black very quickly.

When I became a squire later on (oh, the fashion horrors of wearing a red belt with an emerald green surcote...) I did what other squires were doing to avoid all the "who is your knight" questions - I put my knight's arms on the belt tip. Not a perfect solution, heraldically, but darned helpful if you don't like repeating yourself over and over. :)

~ Kat M.