[Ansteorra] Newbie Status

Sonja Crocker sonja.crocker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 07:44:12 PST 2010

I totally agree! If I don't know someone, I usually go up to them and say
hello. I then ask questions. You know "What is your name? Where are you
from?" These two questions will generally say a lot a lot a person. If they
don't know what barony they live in, usually a dead give away that they are
new. If I see someone lost I ask "How can I help you?" I try to be
everyone's friend. That is how we keep newcomer. There have been so many
groups I have been to who have ignored me. Since I was new there (but I have
been in since 1985), I didn't know many people. I have not been back. One
group even led me to leave the SCA entirely for many years due to my icy
reception. This really saddens me. I have been embarrassed a few times
because I treated old timers like newbies. But that is OK. A little
embarrassment doesn't hurt me. If I don't know them, I assume they are new
(unless they have some obvious regalia - such as a crown or something). Not
many newbies wear crowns.:) So, if you don't recognize someone just go up
and introduce yourself. You might find they are new or just visiting. But
either way, you have helped retain a member. All in all, this is a hobby we
all share so share. Newbies are there to learn what we already know - that
this is fun. So, try and share what knowledge you have with everyone - even
that old timer (like me) who still knows so little about the whole A & S
thing. Pelicans, peers, and all that still kinda confuse me. I still get
belt colors wrong. We will all make mistakes. Don't be afraid to make a few.
So what if you tell them the wrong thing. "Just say I am not sure, but I
think..." Share what you do know - whether it be A&S, Archery, Rapier,
Brewing, Chivalric, whatever. And be forgiving of mistakes made by others
and friendly to all. That seems easy enough to me.:)

Cait

--
Cait O'Hara
mka: Sonja Crocker