[Ansteorra] GW camping in cold/hot weather tips - A General List

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Tue Feb 2 19:44:14 PST 2010

Heilsa,

When I first started playing, I asked what should I expect to bring at
various events. Sounds like a nice simple question, the answers were as
vary as the people who respond back. Just as they are today.
Fortunately, I have already been camping in a wide range of
environments, from along the Gulf Coast, West Texas, to the 11,000 feet
in the Rockies with fresh snow - 2 to 3 feet deep, so I already had a
number of items and knew what I needed or so I thought...:)

This was something that was posted sometime ago and I do not remember
the good Lady that original put in the effort to compile this list. I
thought that it was a very good guide list to go by to prepare for an
event. Be that event a one day or several weeks in length. I have remove
some items and added others.

This list is a general list.

So I copied it and after reading all the emails on this thread thought
to re-post it.

Take it and use or modified for individual situation. Always locate the
web site and read the site rules and the faq there, both will save you
some heartache before you even leave for the event.

Michael Kettering

These sites have already been posted, so....Here are a few links that
might help in your preparations from a variety of great SCA war websites:
http://www.gulfwars.org/rules.html
http://www.gulfwars.org/faq.html

You forgot the what?
(A guide for packing, camping and war kitchens)

After many years of camping, you develop a routine of packing everything
you need for an event or war. However, after this same number of years,
I have also come to the realization that I will forget something
semi-important to very important.

Usually these oversights can be reduced by creating a packing list, and
checking off each item as it is gathered in one area for packing. This
way, you know you are finished packing the car/truck/trailer when this
staging area is empty.

Unfortunately, there is one flaw in this method. The packing is done by
us SCAdians. I've found that planning and organization seem to be out of
period and therefore not in general practice in these Current Middle Ages.

In spite of this and other traditions, I've cobbled together years of
hard-won, and lost, experiences from a number of others for the benefit
of anyone who cares.

FEAST BASKETS:
The simplest of events to prepare for is a one day event and feast.
Simply said but making sure you take all the gear you may want is not. I
suggest having a basket always stocked ready to grab-and-go.

I recommend a larger sized wicker basket with a good lid. I also lined
the inside to keep out dirt and insects (scorpions, Black Widows, etc.).
Eventually, all this junk will weigh about the same as a medium sized
javelin so be sure the handles or straps are pretty heavy duty. Also
keep in mind, the feast environment and clean-up facilities when
determining your dinnerware. Metal doesn't insulate
at all but doesn't break. Wood is a fair insulator and far more durable
than ceramics, glass or china. I have seen plastic ware or Melmac that
has a period appearance and avoid embarrassment when sitting across from
Their Graces and their exquisite setting.

We have our regular large feast basket with all the regular gear and a
smaller one with nice plates, glasses and napkins for nice in-door
feasts. So! What to keep in a feast basket? Some items are obvious, some
not. You may think of more.

FEAST BASKET CHECK LIST
Besides a dinner set for each member of your family, I also keep a
couple of extra set for guests or to loan.
   ___ Plates or platters
   ___ Dinner knives
   ___ Napkins
   ___ Bowls
   ___ Spoons
   ___ Tablespoons for serving
   ___ Cups/mugs/tankards
   ___ Forks
   ___ Tablecloth

   Other items:
    ___ Salt & Pepper
    ___ Sugar
    ___ Coffee (Instant or grind or beans with grinder)
    ___ Tea bags(herbal, etc.)
    ___ Candle holders
    ___ Candles
    ___ Lighter/matches
    ___ Can opener
    ___ Bottle opener
    ___ Cork screw
    ___ Steak knives
    ___ Tongs (for serving)
    ___ Paper towels
    ___ Cloth dish towel
    ___ Handy/baby wipes(great for clean-up)
    ___ Small flashlight
    ___ Pain Reliever

  ___ Pepto Bismol Tablets (for after those 'special' feasts)

  ___ Kitchen garbage bags. (I keep a few for trash, dirty dishes to
take home)

  ___ ZipLock storage bags. (Several quart and gallon sized for
left-overs, etc.)

   COOLER TIPS:
      Keep a couple of 2 liter bottle in the freezer ready to grab. Fill
to about 2 inches from the top and squeeze the bottle a bit  before
capping, to prevent breakage. They hold up better than loose ice and
provide additional cold drinking water as they melt.

   FIRST AID KIT
   ___ Bandages (assorted)
   ___ First aid cream
   ___ Calamine Lotion
   ___ Aloe Vera gel/lotion for minor burns.
   ___ Antiseptic wipes
   ___ Pain Reliever
   ___ Eye Wash and cup
   ___ Scissor
   ___ Tweezers
   ___ Cotton swabs
   ___ Ace bandages
   ___ Gauze wrap
   ___ Bandage tape
   ___ Sterile gauze pad packs

    CAMP KITCHEN CHECK LIST
         Now you are ready to really camp and setup up your camp
kitchen. As with the feast basket, I suggest
    keeping a stocked camp kitchen ready to go. Mine is in a large
plastic tub. Most of the gear is from 2nd hand stores and "Wally World".
(The following items fit into a 24"x18"x18" Rubbermaid tub with a high lid.)

   ___ Griddle / Lg Fry Pan (10")
   ___ Deep pan w/ lid (5 qt)
   ___ Handled pot (3qt)
   ___ Teapot
   ___ Coffee pot
   ___ Large metal spoons (slotted & regular)
   ___ Wok-style ladles with & without holes
   ___ Wood mixing spoons
   ___ Long metal tongs
   ___ Wisk
   ___ BBQ fork
   ___ BBQ Spatula
   ___ BBQ skewers
   ___ Regular spatula
   ___ Pot holders (2-3)
   ___ Dish towels / Rags
   ___ Chef's knife (I have a Ginsui type)
   ___ Long blade knife
   ___ Paring knives (2)

   ___ Cafeteria style tray (12x18 size is great for general food prep
for a week on un-sanitary work surfaces. Found in restaurant supply stores)

   ___ Large plastic mixing bowl (5qt min.)

   ___ Cutting board (Lexan preferred over wood for easier cleaning)
   ___ Large strainer or colander

  ___ Mundanity covers or material to hid water jugs & coolers

   ___ Large plastic funnel

   ___ Lighter & wood matches w/ striker in waterproof container

   ___ Plastic measuring cup (16oz.)
   ___ Large plastic pitcher
   ___ Plastic wrap roll
   ___ Long kitchen aprons (keeps the garb clean)
   ___ Tin foil roll
   ___ Large trash bags (roll)
   ___ Large ZipLocks (1 & 2 gal.)
   ___ Dish washing liquid
   ___ Small bottle bleach (6oz of bleach per)

   ___ Scrubber brush or pad for plastics gallon of water in the rinse
tub meets

   ___ Steel wool pads (NSF sanitation standards)
   ___ Paper towels
   ___ Can opener (in Feast Basket)
   ___ Bottle opener (in Feast Basket)

   What does not fit in the kitchen tub:
    ___ Wash & rinse tubs.
        (two 2ft diameter works for most size cookware. Get the same
type so they stack together)

     KITCHEN TIP:
    Pack a 3lb coffee can. The gallon sized sealable bags fills the can
and folds-back over the top. This holds the bag wide open for filling.
    Make sure there are no burrs on the lip of the can.

    Try to keep all your food stuff in sealable tubs. This can be a life
saver after a major storm.

    CAMPING GEAR CHECK LIST

   ___ Sleeping Tent w/ poles
   ___ Supply Tent & poles
   ___ Stakes (10" nails best with washers.  Forget plastic stakes)
           (Tip: Wrap large washers in duct tape then push the nail
through and it doesn't slide off.)

    ___ Canopy for tent  (Keeps tent much cooler in daylight)

    ___ Tent rugs
    ___ Tarps
    ___ Water proofing spray
    ___ Grommet repair kit
    ___ Ground Cover Tarp Rugs
    ___ Tie down rope (100' of ½ nylon or hemp)
    ___ Portable holes
    ___ Banners & poles
    ___ Lantern(s) (kerosene /propane /electric)
    ___ Hurricane Lamps
    ___ Lantern mantles /bulbs.

    ___ Lamp oil (quart bottle should fuel a lamp for a week)

    ___ Fuel (Plan on at least a gallon of Kerosene per week /1 small
propane bottle per day.)

   ___ Tent heater
   ___ Heater fuel (1½ small propane bottle per night)
   ___ Candle lantern & candles
   ___ Camp knife (Large survival type suggested)
   ___ Large hammer (5-7 lb mini-sledge)
   ___ Fire axe
   ___ Lighter /matches
   ___ Camp stove(s)
   ___ FIRE EXTINGUISHER (1 for each tent and kitchen)
   ___ Stove fuel
   ___ Lantern hooks
   ___ Fire wood
   ___ Fire pit / brazier
   ___ Hot water bottle
   ___ Sleeping Bag(s) (20 degree rated)
   ___ Blankets /bedding
   ___ Pillows
   ___ Foam/air mattress
   ___ Folding tables (kitchen work & general
   ___ Folding Chairs
   ___ Disposable table coverings
   ___ Water cooler(s)
   ___ Flashlights

   ___ Portable radio (for monitoring weather & emergencies)

   ___ Spare bulbs
   ___ Batteries (for lights & radio)
   ___ Duct tape (2-3 rolls)

     Suggestion: The propane "trees" that mount on the large gas tanks
are a bit expensive but are much cheaper in the long run than a bunch of
the small bottles. Set the 5 gal propane tank on a table or stand so the
lantern sits high enough to provide excellent cooking light.

  I keep the stakes, tie down ropes, repair kits, etc.  in an old 5
gallon detergent bucket.

   PERSONAL GEAR CHECK LIST
     I like to pack as much as I can into sealable tubs. Keeps your
stuff clean, dry and pretty bug free.

  ___ Newsletter with event directions.
  ___ Wallet and Identification
  ___ Map
  ___ Money (sounds dumb but I've forgotten)
  ___ Notepad
  ___ Pen/pencil/Calligraphy set
  ___ Address book/EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS
  ___ Watch
  ___ SCA membership & fighting waiver
  ___ Alarm Clock

   ___ Cell phone AND the bloody charger (editorial note)

   ___ Camera
   ___ Film & batteries
   ___ Toilet paper
   ___ Tissues
   ___ Handy wipes
   ___ Hair Brush / Combs
   ___ Tooth Brush
   ___ Tooth paste
   ___ Shampoo/Conditioner
   ___ Bar/liquid soap
   ___ Deodorant (fighter optional)
   ___ MEDICATION
   ___ Sun Screen
   ___ Shaving Cream
   ___ Razor(s)
   ___ Hair Ties
   ___ Wash cloths
   ___ Bath towels
   ___ Makeup
   ___ Safety pins
   ___ Spare eye glasses
   ___ Contact lens solution
   ___ Sun glasses
   ___ Sewing repair kit
   ___ Co-habitation supplies
   ___ Umbrella(s)
   ___ Walking cane /staff
   ___ Carry basket

  CLOTHING
  ___ Spare MUNDANES (2 sets min.)
   ___ Under garments (fighter optional)
   ___ Socks (heavy & light)
   ___ VERY comfortable footwear
   ___ Boots
   ___ Cloak(s)
   ___ Head coverings
   ___ Sweat pants / leggings
   ___ Belts
   ___ Scarves
   ___ Laundry bags.
   (Not plastic, holds dampness & mold.  Old pillow cases work well.)

   ___ GARB (Court, field, warm & light styles)
   ___ Rain gear
   ___ Favors
   ___ Awards

  VEHICLE CHECK LIST