[Ansteorra] Heaters in Tents

Peter Schorn peterschorn at pdq.net
Wed Feb 3 18:52:59 PST 2010

Hi, I'm Cadfan.  I've been in the SCA longer than many of you have been
alive.  When I joined in 1978, there were fewer SCA members than there were
attendees at the most recent Gulf Wars: my Membership Number is 1761. Most
of my SCA life was spent in Ansteorra, back in the days when we still camped
every month of the year.  So I have a good quarter-century's worth of SCA
camping under my belt.

I've also climbed ten 14,000-foot peaks, including Mt. Whitney and Mt
Ranier.  I've done a snow camp on Whitney on the Mountaineer's Route, and
I've traversed the Andes in Bolivia.  On foot.

Based, then, on extensive experience with SCA camping, as well as mundane
camping in colder, higher-altitude and generally more extreme conditions
than any of you will ever be stupid enough to subject yourselves to, I would
like to offer the following five pointers for camping in cold weather:

1. Do not use heaters in tents.  You will die.
2. Do not use heaters in tents.  You will die.
3. Do not use heaters in tents.  You will die.
4. Make sure it's a square knot, not a granny.
5. Do not use heaters in tents.  You will die.

Feel free to ignore my advice, because what do I know, and who do I think I
am, anyway?

Yrs in Svc, etc.

--Cadfan