[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Thu Feb 18 14:22:05 PST 2010

IMO, the discount vs surcharge topic is a ridiculous example of pc ideology,
with little regard for sound marketing psychology. As Master Caelin says
below, it has been suggested time and again within Grand Council
discussions. The opposition contends that it is a point of honorable
semantics. BUT those discussions have generally involved calling it a
"Member *DISCOUNT*" vs. "Non-Member Surcharge".

Quoting part of one of those GC messages:
------------------
> How is calling it a discount a lie? If you are a member and you get 3.00
> off on events because you are a member... I don't see a lie in it.

it's a discount if we take off 3 dollars from the _original_ prices before
the new price was determined.
it's not a discount if we add three dollars for some and say the rest get "a

discount."
Because it's a surcharge.

SCAdians are NOT that dumb.

You cant expect to punish some people and say to the rest, "see how lucky
you are!!" and not expect to be called on it.
End Quoting

Aethelyan, I think your term "Temporary Membership *FEE*" substantially
addresses this concern and is an extremely good suggestion! However, the
"private club membership" analogy (which is quite good btw) may not fly in
all jurisdictions in which the SCA, Inc. and its affiliates operate. That
will take someone more versed in such legal matters than I.

Armand Dragonetti
(who still lurks here and on the GC list :-)