[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 15:07:12 PST 2010

> Armand quoted a Grand Council message:
> it's a discount if we take off 3 dollars from the
> _original_ prices before the new price was determined.
> it's not a discount if we add three dollars for some and
> say the rest get "a discount."
> Because it's a surcharge.
> SCAdians are NOT that dumb.
>
> You cant expect to punish some people and say to the rest,
> "see how lucky you are!!" and not expect to be called on it.
> End Quoting

I remember that discussion. It was very... enlightening. :)

Corporate has received these exact "alternative marketing" suggestions many, many times over the years. Notice they have yet to remarket the concept because each time the topic comes up there is vehement opposition.

What we have to remember is that this isn't something new and shiny, right out of the box. It is nearly a decade old and Society-wide. Many a bloody war has been fought at corporate over it because people were so passionately opposed. Kingdoms have darned near seceded from the SCA over it. The West organized a committee who paid - out of their own pockets - the NMS for every non-member attending a West Kingdom event. And they did this for several YEARS. This speaks volumes about how much they hate the concept. All those people aren't gone and their feelings have not changed.

Apparently, some folks feel downright insulted if corporate suggests that they start calling a dandelion a "rose" once everyone knows it is a dandilion. I couldn't care less which it is - corporate gets my money one way or the other. But I can understand why folks might feel a name change at this stage of the game is patronizing.

I'm not sayin' you guys shouldn't suggest it. :) I'm just sayin' you might want to do your research and don't pin your hopes too high.

By the way, they've all been posted here, but the rules for the NMS can be found at the SCA web site if anyone wants to check out the official source:
http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/nms.html

~ Kat MacLochlainn