[Ansteorra] tagging newcomers (was: Newbie's perspective on NMS and other things)

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 14:18:35 PST 2010

In both groups I lived in in Ansteorra...it was tried about once every 5 years.

Reaction varied...some people didn't want to be "marked" as "new;" others loved it.
Since the symbolism was local...usually only the 10%ers in the local group ever really reacted to the badge/sash/etc...

I just taught new people that if they got in an uncomfortable situation or felt pressured that they needed to speak up and say "I'm new so I don't quite understand xxx"... It made the newcomers self starters instead of having them rely on some symbol and rely on older members to remember the symbol...which often became way too complex...the simpler, more direct way is usually best.

L DeerSlayer