[Ansteorra] Non-Member Surcharge

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 14:48:01 PST 2010

> Armand said:
> ... I don't think the original poster's intent was concerned
> with propping up the image of the corporation, but rather
> to use a bit of positive marketing to the goal of being more
> "welcoming" of newcomers.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure ulterior motives didn't enter in. Most
people's motives are incredibly noble and good hearted. :)

I actually like the idea of positive marketing. I'm just pretty much
opposed to the idea of pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. Even (especially?) our newcomers. I really think we're selling them short, by the way. I think newcomers understand paying an additional charge that members do not. Even if I don't think they should have to. ;)

> My take on the BOD is that those folks try to do
> their best as they volunteer their time and resources.
> They've recognized a looming financial problem and are trying to
> do "something" to address the issues.

I agree with your take on the BoD. That doesn't mean I'm always going to stand in support of everything they do - simply because they have good intentions. I prefer to let them know (in some mature, reasonable way) when I think they are screwing up.

> This touches a much greater concern of mine:
> As I recall, this discussion began with a few well meaning
> suggestions, put forward by some brainstorming, enthusiastic-types.
> Then, we veterans jumped all over the discussion and killed their further
> contributions. This is a small example of the type of behavior that I
> think runs folks off.

Aw! How can you say we're running people off? We didn't post the lesson in physics. That was Daniel. Geez, talk about running people off! I don't think we ran anyone off, by the way. They are still talking - coming up with great ideas about ways to keep newcomers. Far more productive than fixing corporate labeling, imo.

You know as well as I do how many times the "let's call it a discount" suggestion has been made to corporate only to meet the proverbial brick wall. Isn't it a little unfair for us "veteran" types to sit back and let people tilt at the windmill over and over without saying a word?  Now... if we do warn them how much it hurts to run into the windmill... and they charge at it anyway (because youthful enthusiasm is like that) then hey, at least I don't feel partly responsible for them getting injured.

I don't really think a little intense discussion on this e-list is what runs people off. Actually, I have a whole list of things that I think do a much better job of that. And I think Lorraine has the same list. ;)

~ Kat M.