[Ansteorra] Mother of Ansteorra

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Jan 17 14:13:29 PST 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Miss M Brow <starstruck503 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a great deal of difficulty believing that the city fathers
> didn't bother to do the research necessary to make sure the quote
> was attributed correctly...

Sorry for more digression.

<http://tartarus.org/~martin/essays/burkequote2.html> shows that the
misquotation and misattribution started with the 14th edition of
Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1968).  The city fathers may have done
due diligence, but when Bartlett's fails on quotations ...

I did find this appropriate and sourced quotation from Bartlett's,
<http://www.bartleby.com/100/276.html>:

     Because half-a-dozen grasshoppers under a fern make the field ring
     with their importunate chink, whilst thousands of great cattle,
     reposed beneath the shadow of the British oak, chew the cud and
     are silent, pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are
     the only inhabitants of the field; that of course they are many in
     number; or that, after all, they are other than the little
     shrivelled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome insects
     of the hour.

               Reflections on the Revolution in France.
               Vol. iii. p. 344.

Danyell de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com