[Ansteorra] the Ansteorran History Wiki

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 1 11:50:58 PDT 2010

Several people have e-mailed me over the last few days asking me to
add or edit pages to the Ansteorran History Wiki <http://
historian.ansteorra.org/wiki>.   A number of them suggested I use
them or someone they know as a resource for primary information on
one branch or another--I suppose thinking that I could conduct
interviews and input the information they generated into the wiki.  I
don't mind making little updates and corrections, particularly where
my own mistakes are at issue.  But here's the thing:  The whole point
of the wiki is that it allows YOU to add what you know about
Ansteorra's history to our collective memory.  If I uploaded
everybody's information, the wiki would grow very slowly, and the
structure and content of the whole thing would inevitably reflect my
point of view.  If, on the other hand, each individual with something
to share logs in and adds her or his own stories and pictures to the
wiki, it will grow quickly, the information will go straight from the
source to the Web without the filter of my interpretation, and the
wiki as a whole will show a diversity of perspectives and attitudes.
I'm pretty sure that's why our kingdom historian created a wiki in
the first place.  (The main page does say, "This is the Ansteorra
History Wiki. It was created to allow the people of The Kingdom of
Ansteorra to take part in recording and sharing our history.")

As I recall, the Kingdom Historian has to manually approve new
logins, so once you've clicked, "log in / create account" and filled
out the form, it might be a day or two before you can start
contributing.  But once you've got access, it's pretty easy, and
there are plenty of sites with "how to" info if you need it.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>