[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 16:13:22 PDT 2010

Wow, Helene, you are making so much soup from my oysters that it must be tasteless by now. :P

I do condition myself to the weather, and I'm not doing any of the other rude things that you said in your last paragraph. I do those things because I have to, not because I want to, and not because it's fun. Dealing with the extreme heat is necessary. I am in the SCA because I want to be, and because it's fun. Dealing with the extreme heat for our events is not necessary.

As for your first paragraph, that is exactly my point, Helene. You nailed it, and I thank you.

We have two groups of people who disagree. So my repeated suggestion is that we look for ways to accommodate both groups. The general response has been that it's insulting to even start to look for ways to accommodate both groups of people. As one man recently put it, people do not yet actually think about what's being said. They are still feeling about what's being said.

No matter; this discussion will come up time and time again, and, in
time, the shock of a challenge to this unhealthy and uncomfortable
tradition will no longer be seen as a challenge to our chivalry. We
will see progress, but I, for one, do not expect to see it anytime soon.

I am not asking you, or anyone else, to agree with me. I am asking
those in charge of these things to consider the opinions of BOTH sides. It's not a hard request, and shouldn't be an arguable one.

-R

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy marshmallows, which is kind of the same thing.