[Ansteorra] Translation work presentation at A&S events

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 12 16:31:54 PDT 2010

Wihtric Wihtmunding greets the folk of Ansteorra and bids you all well.

I am hoping this coming fall will be my chance to begin showing at A&S events.
I am curious though, and it can be answered off-list, if anyone has any
experience showing translations of medieval texts at such things.  I understand
getting the table to look attractive and catching the eye, otherwise, what
should I include?

For example in the Old English class I took last semester, the graduate students
in the class had to include the diplomatic transcription, an edited version, and
then the translation itself.  I am not sure if that is too much, too little or
what.  I can include quite a bit but I also do not want to provide so much that
the actual craft of translating is overlooked, which I fear would happen if
those judging were not familiar with the tongue used so thus focused on the
surrounding scholarship instead.  I am guessingthat for what we do as well some
expectation of replicating the calligraphy of said texts would be warranted.
MAybe practical things like rewriting award scrolls into Old English for such
personas?

Also should such a thing be turned in much earlier to allow it to be judged by a
capable person in kindgom before the final judging?

Again just curious.  I have the one piece from the class, my translation of the
A-S Rune Poem, and maybe even a couple of originals in Old English and Old
Frisian.  Just not sure how to get them to the right places/people.  I have
little other skill in the Society and would like to make the most of what I can
contribute.

Gódspéde!
Wihtric hlafard Wihtmunding