[Ansteorra] Indoor Fighting, was Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 51, Issue 13

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Jul 13 12:52:02 PDT 2010

> 2) Macho: Means characterized or driven by Machismo.  Machismo is a degenerate honor code.  It emphasizes swagger, bullying, domination of women, and pointless aggression.  We shoot for chivalry in the Society. There is a gross difference, and "machismo" or "macho" is an insult.  Perhaps out of ignorance, but an insult none the less.

> Lord Ioannes Dalassenos
> the increasingly impatient

A quick look online yields the following.

Macho
The property of being overtly masculine, from the Spanish word Machismo

Machismo
Machismo is a prominently exhibited or excessive masculinity.[1] As an attitude, machismo ranges from a personal sense of virility to a more extreme masculism. In many cultures, machismo is acceptable and even expected.

I would find either of these not an insult. It does not mention bullying, domination, and pointless aggression.  Your definitions of Chivalry and courtesy are based on your strawman scenarios. I suggest Macho, machismo, chivalry, and courtesy are much deeper than your characterizations imply. Choose your champion..... :-)

Caelin