[Ansteorra] Indoor Fighting, was Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 51, Issue 13

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:12:02 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Richard Threlkeld
<rjt at softwareinnovation.com> wrote:

>> 2) Macho: Means characterized or driven by Machismo.  Machismo is a degenerate honor code.  It emphasizes swagger, bullying, domination of women, and pointless aggression.  We shoot for chivalry in the Society. There is a gross difference, and "machismo" or "macho" is an insult.  Perhaps out of ignorance, but an insult none the less.
>
>> Lord Ioannes Dalassenos
>> the increasingly impatient
>
> A quick look online yields the following.
>
> Macho
> The property of being overtly masculine, from the Spanish word Machismo
>
> Machismo
> Machismo is a prominently exhibited or excessive masculinity.[1] As an attitude, machismo ranges from a personal sense of virility to a more extreme masculism. In many cultures, machismo is acceptable and even expected.
>
> I would find either of these not an insult. It does not mention bullying, domination, and pointless aggression.  Your definitions of Chivalry and courtesy are based on your strawman scenarios. I suggest Macho, machismo, chivalry, and courtesy are much deeper than your characterizations imply. Choose your champion..... :-)
>
> Caelin

Also I find:

Main Entry: ma·chis·mo
Pronunciation: \mä-ˈchēz-(ˌ)mō, mə-, -ˈkēz-, -ˈkiz-, -ˈchiz-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, from macho
Date: circa 1948
1 : a strong sense of masculine pride : an *exaggerated* masculinity
2 : an exaggerated or exhilarating sense of power or strength

>From Urban Dictionary, which, while not a scholarly source, does tend
to give an alternate view of how the word is used:

Spanish word. I don't think there's a direct english word translation.
1. Having an unusually high or exaggerated sense of masculinity.
Including an attitude that aggression, strength, sexual prowess, power
and control is the measure of someone's manliness. Also, a machismo
man feels having these traits entitles him to respect and obedience
from men and women around him. 2. The belief in the right to dominate
and control, including, but not limited to, control over women.

Almost *any* excessive trait is bad.  Meekness, modesty, temper,
temperence... taken to an excess theose can all be damaging.

Also, none of Rose's mentions of "macho" were intended to be
flattering or to call to mind virility and potence, but rather to call
to mind the negative traits associated with a "macho man."

Helene Dalassene
--
I've asked forgiveness from the Lord, now take my soul, and bring my sword.